Participants will be introduced to pertinent aspects of literacy work in local languages. They will gain knowledge and practical experience in how to work effectively in a mother tongue literacy programme.
Upon completion of the course, students will:
- explain the international context for literacy in minority languages;
- list the foundational principles of literacy programs and adapt them to a specific context;
- list and describe current literacy methods and apply two of them in greater depth to a given context;
- explain the important elements of teacher and writer training ;
- describe the steps in literature production and produce an easy reading booklet.
- Intro to literacy in local languages
- The context of literacy
- Evaluation (of learners, teachers, materials, programmes)
- Theories and methods of teaching and learning
- Pedagogy – curriculum etc
- Pre- and post-literacy
- Materials development
- Management and finance
- Teacher training