This course is offered to those who have taken Phonetics and Introduction to Phonology in Academic Course I.
The course participants will receive lectures on all major aspects of segmental phonology and tone, and will apply the covered aspects in assignments and (where possible) by examining their own languages.
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- describe the process of moving from a phonetic to a phonological understanding of a language’s sounds
- identify the phonemes of a language
- describe the most common phonological and morphophonological processes occurring in a language
- describe the initial steps of the analysis of a tone language, along with the most common tonal processes found in African languages
- apply phonological insights to orthographic decisions